UC San Diego SearchMenu

OAP Pre-Departure Requirements

Amidst the excitement and the prospect of going abroad, please keep in mind the following important steps that must be followed between now and your departure.

**VERY IMPORTANT** - Please read: OAP Notes (PDF)


You must have a valid passport to travel abroad. If you already have a passport, check the expiration date now. It must be valid 6 months beyond the end of your program. If you need to apply for or renew your U.S. passport, it may take as long as eight weeks, and a renewed passport will have a different number. UCSD Mail Services is the closest passport processing location. If you are not a US permanent resident, discuss with your advisor what paperwork you need to complete in order to re-enter the United States.

Apply for Visa

  • Check with your program sponsor about visa procedures.
  • Check the country-specific information maintained by the U.S. State Department.
  • Get more information from the embassy or consulate of your destination country

Obtain Health Insurance

Be sure to obtain health insurance for your time abroad if your program doesn't provide it.

Refer to the San Diego Immunization Branch for more information on recommended immunizations and medications for the country you are going to. This site also lists contact information for travel physicians in San Diego County.

Complete OAP Application on TritonsAbroad

Make sure you have completed and submitted the OAP application on TritonsAbroad by the end of the 7th week of the quarter before you plan to go abroad.

If you will be abroad for more than one quarter, you will also need to complete an online readmission application.

OAP Fees

Most of your fees will be paid directly to the program provider. If this is the first time you have applied to an EAP or OAP program, you will also be charged a $100 administrative fee through UCSD billing. Please pay this fee promptly to avoid a late penalty.

Disability Self-Assessment Form

If you need help making arrangements to accommodate a physical or mental disability, turn in a self-assessment form (PDF) to your OAP advisor.

Mental Health

Make sure you embark on your study abroad having prepared for all of your mental health considerations. Watch this informative video about mental health and study abroad:

*Note: This video was produced by UCEAP, but is relevant to all UC San Diego students about to embark on a study abroad experience. Be sure to check with your OAP provider for any additional resources regarding mental health and personal wellness.

General Orientation

How to Complete the General Orientation

As a requirement of participation in study abroad at UC San Diego students must first complete an online general orientation prior to departure. The orientation should take about an hour to complete, and participation will be recorded and is a requirement of study abroad.

DUE DATE TO COMPLETE THE ORIENTATION: December 15th of Fall Quarter (for Winter/Spring departures), and June 15th of Spring Quarter (for Summer/Fall Departures)

Directions to access the online orientation. Please read the following directions carefully:

  1. Access the Moodle Link at the bottom of this message.
  2. Click on Programs Abroad Orientation
  3. Sign in using your Student SSO
  4. Self-enroll into the orientation by using the access code: 726
  5. Enter the online module and begin

Tips for success: Use a laptop or desktop computer. Mobile devices are not supported. Recommended browsers include Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. You may exit and re-enter the module at any time and resume where you left off. The self-check questions contained in the orientation are not graded; only your completion of the orientation will be recorded.

At the end of the orientation click on the Submit button to record your completion of the orientation. There is no need to contact the Study Abroad Office to confirm participation. (If you experience technical difficulties or trouble accessing the orientation, please contact the Study Abroad Office at abroad@ucsd.edu.)

Moodle Link: https://moodle.ucsd.edu/

Access Code: 726

Topics to be covered:

  • Pre-departure logistics
  • Health and safety abroad
  • Adjustment
  • Administrative process

Orientation handouts:

Country Orientation

You will also be notified by email of dates and times for your country.

Apply for Financial Aid

File the FAFSA by the March deadline and verify with the Financial Aid Office that they have received your Confirmation of Intent and Academic Planning Form.

Apply for Scholarships

Don't forget to apply for Study Abroad UC San Diego scholarships as well as outside scholarships. Each scholarship has a different deadline.

Register with the U.S. State Department

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. Registration allows you to record information about your upcoming trip abroad that the Department of State can use to assist you in case of an emergency.


Bring your PID and PAC abroad with you to register for classes on TritonLink for the quarter you return to UCSD. We can't obtain your PAC number for you if lost; you must request it from the Registrar by mail or fax.

Apply for On-Campus Housing

  • If you would like to live on campus after you return from abroad, sign up for the housing waitlist as soon as it is available.
  • You should also e-mail Cathy Incadela at the Housing Office to let her know that you will be studying abroad and wish to have housing when you return but do not have a guarantee.

Contact Us

Study Abroad UC San Diego
409 UCtr, Suite 120
(on Matthews Quad)
Find Us On Campus

P: (858) 534-1123
F: (858) 822-5726
E: abroad@ucsd.edu

Mailing Address:
9500 Gilman Drive, M/C 0095
La Jolla, CA 92093-0095

9 am - 4 pm
Monday - Friday

Social Media

facebook youtube instagram twitter

Generation Study Abroad