Skip to main content

OAP Pre-Departure Requirements

Amidst the excitement and the prospect of going abroad, please keep in mind the following important steps that must be followed between now and your departure.

**Very Important** - Please read: OAP Nuts & Bolts (PDF)

COVID Information

IMPORTANT! Any student wishing to participate on an Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP) during the COVID-19 health pandemic is required to read OAP memos regarding COVID-era travel and travel notification and assumption of risk. These can be accessed at the Study Abroad and COVID 19 page.


You must have a valid passport to travel abroad. If you already have a passport, check the expiration date now. It must be valid 6 months beyond the end of your program. If you need to apply for or renew your U.S. passport, it may take as long as eight weeks, and a renewed passport will have a different number. UCSD Mail Services is the closest passport processing location. If you are not a US permanent resident, discuss with your advisor what paperwork you need to complete in order to re-enter the United States.

Apply for Visa

  • Check with your program sponsor about visa procedures.
  • Check the country-specific information maintained by the U.S. State Department.
  • Get more information from the embassy or consulate of your destination country

Obtain Health Insurance

Be sure to obtain health insurance for your time abroad if your program doesn't provide it.

Refer to the San Diego Immunization Branch for more information on recommended immunizations and medications for the country you are going to. This site also lists contact information for travel physicians in San Diego County.

Complete OAP Application on TritonsAbroad

Make sure you have completed and submitted the OAP application on TritonsAbroad by the end of the 7th week of the quarter before you plan to go abroad.

If you will be abroad for more than one quarter, you will also need to complete an online readmission application.

OAP Fees

Most of your fees will be paid directly to the program provider. If this is the first time you have applied to an EAP or OAP program, you will also be charged a $100 administrative fee through UCSD billing. Please pay this fee promptly to avoid a late penalty.

Disability Self-Assessment Form

If you need help making arrangements to accommodate a physical or mental disability, turn in a self-assessment form (PDF) to your OAP advisor.

General Orientation

As a requirement of participation in study abroad at UC San Diego students must first complete the Study Abroad UC San Diego Online General Orientation prior to departure. The orientation should take about an hour to complete, and participation will be recorded and is a requirement of study abroad. 

How to Access Study Abroad's Online General Orientation:

  1. Log in with your UC San Diego Active Directory account.
  1. Click “Enroll in Course”

Deadline to Complete the Online General Orientation:

Summer/Fall/Year Departures: JUNE 15

Winter/Spring Departures: DECEMBER 15

Apply for Financial Aid

File the FAFSA by the March deadline and verify with the Financial Aid Office that they have received your Confirmation of Intent and Academic Planning Form.

Apply for Scholarships

Don't forget to apply for Study Abroad UC San Diego scholarships as well as outside scholarships. Each scholarship has a different deadline.

Register with the U.S. State Department

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. Registration allows you to record information about your upcoming trip abroad that the Department of State can use to assist you in case of an emergency.


Bring your PID and PAC abroad with you to register for classes on TritonLink for the quarter you return to UCSD. We can't obtain your PAC number for you if lost; you must request it from the Registrar by email or fax (PDF).

Apply for On-Campus Housing

  • If you would like to live on campus after you return from abroad, sign up for the housing waitlist as soon as it is available.
  • If you have a housing guarantee, you should also e-mail the Housing Office ( to let them know you are going on a UC sponsored OAP program and you were eligible for Room Selection for the term you are abroad.
  • Students without a housing guarantee may also sign up for the waitlist.
  • Another great on-campus housing option is I-House, which has a separate application process and is geared towards international-minded students, such as study abroad returnees.